We, as the Marianist Family, because of our belief in the sanctity of all human life and in the dignity of all persons, pledge ourselves to prayer, education, reflection, and action to abolish the death penalty. This practice is unjust, inhumane and inconsistent with the Gospel message. By our witness we seek to change hearts and minds concerning this injustice. As a positive step, we promote restorative justice which focuses on repairing the harm caused when a crime is committed. It is a community-centered approach to justice which views crime as a violation of people and relationships, rather than simply a violation of law. Restorative Justice focuses on the victim’s needs and the offender’s responsibility to repair harm and foster healing.
Communication and Education
- Each team member (and guests!) will share a personal reflection in Justice Jottings
- Highlight October as “Respect Life” Month and March as “Juvenile Justice” month
- Continuation of Holy Week Letter to Marianist Communities
- More efficient and frequent use of Catholic Mobilizing Network’s resources
- Increase visibility on MSJC Facebook page!
- Restorative Justice Workshop with Marianist Institutions
- Start conversation with Province Office of Sponsorship about the idea of hosting a gathering of deans of discipline and other school staff around the issue of restorative justice.
- Each team member will expand personal knowledge of restorative justice
- “Assigned Readings” – Each member will choose 1 of the following 3 resources:
- 1) Little Book of Restorative Justice
- 2) Changing Lenses
- 3) Where Justice and Mercy Meet
- Continue to learn from experts on where to go next with Restorative Justice
- Tap into restorative justice experts and resources that we are already in connection with.
Young Adult Initiatives
- Collaborate with Catholic Mobilizing Network on Restorative Justice Young Adult Retreat in Fall 2014
- Connect with Adele Social Justice Project on ways to invite young adults into justice issues
- Sponsor Law Student Internship in Restorative Justice/ Holistic Defense public-law organization.
Resources and Links